Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Upgrade to Windows 10?

Upgrade to Windows 10

So, I have that little icon, urging me to "Get Windows 10." It's apparently free. I've been sticking with Windows 7 for years now, with no complaints. I feel this decision served me well through the sometimes rocky Windows 8 updates.

Is it time to upgrade? Is Windows 10 worthy to replace my beloved Windows 7?

(I'm speaking from a gaming perspective, of course)

________________________________________________


Edit: Manual download/installation is up, if you are tired of waiting: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10

Edit #2: Regarding clean installs:




Originally Posted by IcyRhythms

The upgrade tool doesn't give me the option for a clean install


Originally Posted by xemumanic

It won't. You get that after you do the upgrade.Edit #3: Possible fix for 80240020 Error:




What this error means is, your Windows 10 installation folder is unfinished and/or corrupted. Now, how do you fix that?
1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder.
2. Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".
3. Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 should start re-downloading from scratch, hopefully without flaws this time.Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/com...ng_to_install/

Edit #4: DualShock 4 is having issues with Windows 10.

Info from the maker of DS4Windows:




Hey guys Im the dev of DS4Windows, basically the case is that there was a local service on Windows 7 - 8.1 that made sure the System didn't grab every device the moment it connected. Now that it's missing, the system keeps the DS4 Controller (Wireless controller) visible and still active, and being the system, it notices the controller before DS4W can hide it.

It won't affect every game, just games that support dinput, such as Dark Souls 1, Distance, and pretty much every game made in Unity. Like I said on the site, I have no idea how to fix this yet, when Windows 10 officially comes out I'll look into this more, but having tried the build of WIndows 10 likely to be the official RTM build, it seems like it will remain to be a problem.

Also sorry for the lack of updates, I've been pretty busy. I'll will be (hopefully) try to add Chinese support and some new features soon, but being perfectly honest, if I or anyone can't find a way to hide the controller on Windows 10, I can't say I'll be supporting DS4W for much longer.And and rough workaround:




Mine started working after HOURS of tweaking iagommc11's suggestion. I disabled all "system services", turned them off/on one-by-one to see which among these services were the problems. It was the "DHCP Client" which was causing the "exclusivity" issue with InputMapper. I do not know why. BUT BUT BUT, once you turn this off, you will not have internet access (not easily, anyway).

DHCP is the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol: it enables a server (usually a network router) to assign an IP address to a computer to allow it to connect to its network. Without it, you have to use static IP addresses to gain network access.

If you are going to disable the DHCP Client service, please do so at your own risk. Anyway, to disable the DHCP Client service:
go to the Start Menu or the command prompt and type "msconfig"
go to the "services" tab
uncheck "DHCP Client"
restart your computer
You will lose DHCP access (and dynamic IP addressing, thus probably your internet connection too) after this so just enable it again after you're done testing.

It's not the internet access that matters. It's the DHCP Client service. I have already tried disabling all my network connections so that Windows did not have internet access upon loading: InputMapper still had problems with exclusivity.

After disabling the DHCP Client service, I rebooted my computer and tried to set my IP to a static one (I just copied the dynamic IP the router gave me, etc.) and now I am posting using this connection AND my DS4 is now in "Exclusive mode".

Big thanks to iagommc11 for this!Source: https://inputmapper.com/forum/4/614

Edit #5: Tip: If you hit the Guide button on an Xbox One or Xbox 360 controller while playing a game, you can bring up the Game Bar. This lets you take screenshots and record videos (essentially, use the Game DVR feature), which are visible and integrated within the Xbox app. This works for most games - yes, even those you bought on Steam or Origin or wherever.
Last edited by Kagoshima_Luke; 07-29-2015 at 10:25 PM.


Originally Posted by Kagoshima_Luke

So, I have that little icon, urging me to "Get Windows 10." It's apparently free. I've been sticking with Windows 7 for years now, with no complaints. I feel this decision served me well through the sometimes rocky Windows 8 updates.

Is it time to upgrade? Is Windows 10 worthy to replace my beloved Windows 7?

(I'm speaking from a gaming perspective, of course)Yes it's very smooth. Upgrade isn't live until July 29th. Also if you hate it the rollback from the upgrade is super easy. Made a test box for work and had to roll it back to 8.1 no problems at all.

I did have a problem with the Preview of pro 10 recognizing my LAN driver though.

There's little reason not to upgrade. It's basically Windows 8, minus Windows 8. All the under the hood improvements with none of the heartbreak over mandatory Metro. The new Start Menu isn't perfect but Cortana's actually pretty great in the last few builds so searching for anything is easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment